Practice for Releasing Unwanted Energy
If you are a person who often sees more than you want to see, or who accrues unwanted, negative energy flung far and wide by others, you may find this spiritual practice helpful.
- Take whatever position enables you to focus; I lie on my back with one hand on my abdomen and the other on my heart.
- Find a rhythm to your breathing, breathing in peace and exhaling anxiety.
- Now do a scan of your body and aura to find and root out all negative, unwanted energy which has lodged itself and affected your quality of life. There is no need to analyze or name the energies; no doubt you have already done that too much, only creating more unwanted energy.
- Start with your brain, imagining that you are going in with your hands and manually untangling the unwanted energy. It might be like removing seaweed and barnacles from a fishing net. As you seek and release, focus your attention by saying, “Untangling, releasing, untangling, releasing.” Breathe in peace and exhale negative energy.
- With each piece of negative energy released, send it back down to the earth where it can be neutralized. I imagine a channel extending from my sacral bone into the earth. Send the energy down while saying, “Releasing, sending, releasing, sending.” Send it down with a great big “Woosh” of breath.
- Continue scanning your body and aura, finding those places where unwanted energy likes to hide out. When you reach a place of balanced integrity, you are grounded.
- Follow up with a cleansing ritual such as spritzing with water, or burning sage or incense.
May peaceful moments come and stay.
Photo Credit: Donna Coburn http://www.artrage.com
Yesterday, when I read Anita Neilson’s excellent post, “I Beat the Blues.” I was unaware how saturated I was with energy that wasn’t doing me any good at all. “Depressed,” or “The Blues” didn’t ring true for the state in which I found myself, but Anita’s post was the catalyst I needed to release myself.
I find it a gift and a curse to have a heightened awareness of energy. I am consistently aware of that, but inconsistently faithful to protecting myself from the sometimes intense or negative energy of others. Political dissonance is causing even folks of good will to cast blame onto others of good will and that energy hangs out with the truly malignant energy spewing out of hate mongers. I realized that I wasn’t taking well enough care of myself.
So I begin again. I am blessed with the privilege of solitude and silence, so I usually remember to center, but I need to do it in the day’s middle as well as its beginning. I’ve been forgetting to ground myself, which is essential for me to manage the energy I pick up. The meditation podcast that Anita recommends in her post is excellent. I found tremendous relief from the centering/grounding meditation I found there. A walk outside on the earth and in intimacy with trees returned my sense of rootedness. I selected a glorious red leaf and stone to grace my inside altar. Spritzing water all around my body helped me shake off accumulated energy that kept me on edge.
I cannot afford to be careless. I really must intentionally protect myself from energy bombardment. These are only a few ways to do that. A simple google search with keywords “energy-protection,” will yield many suggestions for those in need.
I feel so much better now. Thank you, Anita. May I remember to faithfully care for myself.